About Us

Some Background on Horndean Post

The first local newspaper in Petersfield came about when Mr FD Button published the first issue of The Petersfield Weekly News on 5 September 1883, from his printing business in Lavant Street.

Arthur Wilson Childs became the next proprietor of the newspaper and remained with it for over 40 years, changing the name of the title to the Hants and Sussex News in 1892. The newspaper’s offices moved to the High Street during Arthur’s ownership and the paper became affectionately known among it’s readers as ‘The Squeaker’.

Meanwhile, Portsmouth and Sunderland Newspapers had launched a Petersfield edition of their long-established Hampshire Telegraph into the area. A name change to The Petersfield Post saw this become the more popular newspaper in town.

Then, on 29 August 1962, the Hants and Sussex News appeared for the last time and the following week it was incorporated into the Petersfield Post.

In 1968, printing of The Petersfield Post was moved to new, high-tech printing presses at Hilsea in Portsmouth where it has been printed ever since.

On 14 March 1974, the Petersfield Post was separated from the Hampshire Telegraph Series… so Petersfield had its own newspaper again! The Bordon edition of the newspaper was launched in 1976.

In 1999, Johnston Press acquired Portsmouth & Sunderland Newspapers plc and in 2013, Sir Ray Tindle CBE DL purchased the Post Series from Johnston Press, bringing further expansion with the launch of The Clanfield Post and the Horndean Post.

Today, family-owned and sitting proudly under the Tindle banner, the historically popular Post series remains the leading local newspaper for Petersfield and East Hampshire, offering extensive and dedicated coverage of news, sport, entertainments, nostalgia and information on the towns of Petersfield, Bordon, Clanfield, Horndean, and the towns and villages that surround them.